Thread: ?'s about suicide....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Read Hebrews Chapter 11. In this chapter you have what some people call the "faith's hall of fame". Notice that
    in this chapter you will see that Samson is listed right along with Abraham and other "heroes of the faith". As you
    know, Samson killed himself after being blinded and tormented by the Philistines.

I believe this is another example of the fact that salvation is by grace through faith.
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Guest View Post
    Read Hebrews Chapter 11. In this chapter you have what some people call the "faith's hall of fame". Notice that
    in this chapter you will see that Samson is listed right along with Abraham and other "heroes of the faith". As you
    know, Samson killed himself after being blinded and tormented by the Philistines.

I believe this is another example of the fact that salvation is by grace through faith.
    Samson willingly sacrificed his own life to take out the Philistine aristocracy, asking God to take his life along with his enemies, not out of despair. Quite a different scenario than someone just being bummed with life and deciding it was a good day to end it.

The equivalent for Samson would have been to take his own life while still in his prison cell.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)