The Tree Of Liberty The Tree Of Liberty  

Go Back   The Tree Of Liberty > Public > The Workshop

The Workshop Survival and Self Sufficiency topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Esquire

Bought 100 lbs of Jasmine Rice and a case of Rice Noodles.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Congressman

Last night I was thinking, if there was a large terrorist attack in my area, all ambulances would be diverted to the disaster area. If I'm injured I could be on my own, so I started carrying an Israeli Bandage in a small pouch on my belt.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8:32 View Post
Bought 100 lbs of Jasmine Rice and a case of Rice Noodles.

Dont forget the wasabi powder and soy sauce
Old 10-31-2010, 04:42 PM

o btw...

I praticed setting up a tarp shelter and cooked breakfest and lunch over and open fire and I gathered the firewood from my forest ie dead hanging branches.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 PM
looney housewife

bought onions at Sam's had been waiting for the price to come down all summer it hit $17.86+/- for a 50# bag several weeks back and missed my opportunity and the price shot back up to $18.86! Will start processing them in various formats this coming week. Will make up some batter and then dip slices in the batter and freeze them on a cookie sheet and bag them after they are good and frozen. Will make french onion soup. Will chop some and freeze, will dehydrate others. Some I'll bake with roasts and the like.

The clerk at Sam's a young gal wanted to know what we'd do with all of those onions and OC chirped... eat them of course! I told her that they'd probably all be gone by January, and if I do any late season canning, of soups etc., which I tend to do a lot of in the winter, then they will disappear fast. I use one large onion for 4 quarts of ham and bean soup, and I'd say at least one for 4 quarts of chili.

K-

Joan of Arc
Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Tree of Liberty Moderator

PW... have you tried freezing them in batter before? I'm guessing you'd be a lot happier with the results if you deep fry them until they're pale gold before freezing... it's how I do french fries...

Summerthyme
Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Tree of Liberty Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermantribe View Post
I made 8 lbs of hamburger into rocks (all I afford).

Quite alright!! That's 8lbs that you didn't have before and 8lbs more than the average Joe has sitting in on their shelve and certainly not preserved like you have it. A little bit here and a little bit there - it all adds up!

I'll go out on a limb early and predict that despite all the pain that this thing (zerocare) is and will continue to be, that the Repb's will barely (if at all) hold the House and the Dem's will soundly keep the Senate. All because those mean ol' Tea Partier's made the gubberment shutdown. And then zerocare will be here for your great-grandchildren.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
looney housewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
PW... have you tried freezing them in batter before? I'm guessing you'd be a lot happier with the results if you deep fry them until they're pale gold before freezing... it's how I do french fries...

Summerthyme
Aside from the color what else should I look for so that I don't over cook them?

K-

Joan of Arc
Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:51 PM
looney housewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post

Summerthyme

Oh and when you do your french fries do you par boil the potatoes BEFORE you par fry them?

K-

Joan of Arc
Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Tree of Liberty Moderator

On the french fries... nope, I just do them raw. Color is the best indicator... you want them about 3/4 of the way to "done". Then you can either deep fry them or simply put them in a hot oven (400-450) for as long as it takes to get them a nice, toasty golden brown and hot all the way through...

Summerthyme
Closed Thread