The Tree Of Liberty The Tree Of Liberty  

Go Back   The Tree Of Liberty > Public > Committees of Correspondence

Committees of Correspondence Hard News And Discussion Amongst Citizens Of The Tree

Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Senator

Throw her out and the horse too.

The last thing I want to see is a van load of screaming muzzies fill a shopping mall lot.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Senator

Default Show of hands

Quote:
Jarrett Leading Secret Talks With Iranís Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei
Anyone on this Board actually surprised by this?

From: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...301368,00.html
SHOCK REPORT: VALERIE JARRETT LEADING SECRET TALKS
Quote:
Last month, the New York Times informed America that the Obama administration has been running secret talks with Iran in order to facilitate a working relationship once tomorrowís election is over. Official disavowals were not long in coming, even as off the record sources confirmed that the talks were taking place.

And thanks to YNetNews, we may now know who the administrationís designated voice is: Obama confidante and senior adviser Valerie Jarrett.

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

--- Frederic Bastait

Everything I post is Fiction and should not be taken seriously by anyone....
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Senator

What does "working relationship" mean?
"See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
What does "working relationship" mean?
I believe part of this "working relationship" possibly means running U.S. weapons to Islamic Jihadist's in the ME along with shutting down Israel's ability to successfully defend itself...

And maybe even murdering a U.S. Ambassador to cover it all up.
Of course, that's pure speculation on my part: I don't need any drones over my house.

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

--- Frederic Bastait

Everything I post is Fiction and should not be taken seriously by anyone....
Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Senator

If any administration (Obama or Romney) seriously want to try negotiations with Iran, THIS is the guy to go to. He is the religious authority and in Iran that is higher than the President, he has already stated that he feels that atomic weapons are "un-Islamic" and since he's sort of like the Shia Pope, he can't easily go back on that statement (not without his fellow Mullahs removing him from office).

In theory, while he doesn't hold the guns (the President and the separate revolutionary guard does that) his voice is able to over-rule secular authorities. That doesn't mean he can if they simply refuse to listen but in general the secular authorities do.

The wild card is the revolutionary guards, they might not respect "orders" from either the Mullahs or "I'm a Nut Job" having their own ideas and military to back it up. But again, they put on a pretense of being "more Islamic than thou" and so might actually be more likely to listen to the religious leaders before the secular President or standard military.

While I can't stand Jarett, having someone born in Iran (of American parents) especially if she speaks Persian; would not be the worst choice to open a dialog. Believe it or not, women in Iran (even now) have a lot of cultural power (especially older ones); that's why you'll notice that not even the Islamic revolution took the vote away from women as the mullahs knew that would be going too far.

I know it seems crazy to Americans to think that the traditional Islamic religious leaders in a place like Iran might be the voice of "relative" sanity; but it very well may be the case. Most of them have no desire to have their country turned into glass, their people decimated and their own positions of power and authority lost.

A lot of people in Iran think Ahmadinejadstands for "I'm a nut Job" the same way American's do; most people in Iran are not serious messianic crazies ready to start WWIII so the 12th Imam can come out of his well.

So, I am concerned about these negotiations but they may or may not be the worst way to go; I would prefer they were conducted by someone other than Jarrett - Iranian connections or not. But simply talking to these people is not a bad idea, at worst it drags things out and at best has the slim chance of some sort of accord with Iran. If the US really wants one (something I am not sure about, again that's either administration) and the Mullahs manage to put a muzzle on their secular nut job in chief.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Senator

It is no surprise that US foreign policy and Middle East policy is so messed up. An unelected, unaccountable, politically placed corrupt hack playing the negotiation game.

It might be fascinating to learn what she has offered to the Iranians.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Congressman

The most interesting part of this to me is that, if true, there are direct talks with the Ayatollah Khamenei himself.This is an exceptional development for those who understand how the Iranian Government works. Khamenei rarely is involved directly in even the most sensitive issues and with the most senior foreign leaders. As the head of a Theocratic Republic, while he always has the last word, the Ayatollah Khamenei would normally use regular diplomatic corps.Either this is very very big, or very very wrong.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Land Owner

Where's Hillary?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Senator

To hell with Hillary.

The Iranian problem has been festering since even before the Shah was over thrown back in the late 70's

And odd and even days are here again.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Senator

Actually, Hillary (or one of her quieter and less well known diplomats) would make more sense than Jarret who as far as I can tell has no qualifications other than possibly speaking Farsi (Persian).

As Aetius pointed out, this is NOT the secular President, this The Supreme High Religious Leader in Iran and in theory the highest authority as well. If he were to order the secular President or the Military to end their nuclear program or forbid them to build bombs outright (he has not forbidden just suggested they are non-Islamic); the results would be a Power struggle at best or possible violent, military confrontation/civil war at worst.

Such a civil war would probably not play into US hands (though they might think that it would) because without the veneer of the religious rulers providing some restraint on them; either the secular military or more likely the revolutionary guards might take matters such as Israel (or the shipping lanes) into their own hands.

This talking should be taking place very quietly with very highly trained diplomats who are experts in the region (Iran in particular) because the results have a slim chance of being positive (the chance is probably worth taking) but a huge chance of going very weird very quickly.