The Tree Of Liberty The Tree Of Liberty  

Go Back   The Tree Of Liberty > Public > Committees of Correspondence

Committees of Correspondence Hard News And Discussion Amongst Citizens Of The Tree

Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Tree of Liberty Moderator

Default Doce Fire threatens homes in Prescott, AZ

Well, gang, DH and I have a little cabin in Prescott's Highland Pines subdivision near a 600-acre forest fire that started earlier today. At the moment, it appears to be moving away from us, but the authorities have alerted subdivision residents to be ready to evacuate.

Please pray that the wind doesn't shift!

June 18, 2013
6/18/2013 11:50:00 AM
Breaking News: Doce fire evacuations ordered
Courier illustration
The Forest Service puts the coordinates of the fire's start south of Iron Springs Road, east of Contreras.Matt Hinshaw/The Daily Courier
A slurry bomber makes a run at the Doce Fire.+ view more photosJoanna Dodder Nellans
The Daily Courier

UPDATE 4:08 p.m.

Authorities are evacuating areas near the Granite Basin Recreation Area just west of Prescott because of the Doce wildfire that ignited about 11:30 a.m. today.

The latest estimate on the fire size is 600 acres as of 3 p.m., with active movement to the northeast onto Granite Mountain and Little Granite Mountain. Several dozen homes are located about a mile east of the rocky Granite Mountain in Granite Basin.

Approximately 250 firefighters are on the ground.

Mandatory evacuations are taking place for approximately 30-40 homes on private inholdings and Forest Service leases in the Granite Basin Recreation Area, homes next to the Alto Pit OHV Area, and Camp Anytown off Granite Basin Road, Yavapai County Sheriff's Office spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn said at 1 p.m.

The Sheriff's Office has conducted Reverse 9-1-1 calls to residents of the Wildwood Estates and Highland Pines subdivisions to alert them that they might need to evacuate soon, D'Evelyn said. They each have about 250 to 300 homes.

More at: http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?Sec...ticleID=120333

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Citizen

Cyberiot,
I dont know your details, but it sounds like your cabin may be a second home. If that's the case, you may want to take anything you "can't live without" home with you. It's going to be a long summer across the West.

If this is your primary residence, you better do the same and be ready to go. it will be a much bigger and more stressful situation if this is the case.

Even though the authorities can not "make" you leave during a mandatory evacuation, they will be able to keep you from returning, After they basically install martial law in your area. You can also expect look e lews. Nut jobs and looters to be attracted to your area, as/if media attention escalates.

Keep in touch with you neighbors. You will see the community come together. Lend a hand when and where you can. Also allow yourself to take assistance when you need it. Most of all, be as self sufficient as possible. Remain calm and try to keep a positive attitude. Even under the worst case scenario, your going to make it thru this as long as no one gets hurt.

Call your insurance agent and review your policy. Seriously consider increasing it. While you are at it, document your belongings for your policy.

It's scary stuff. Don't forget to breathe. Seriously.
God Bless and Good Luck,
Pragmatist
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Citizen

Local AZ News, 6:30pm. Doce Fire Started around noon today. 1,500 - 2,000 acres, official est. Up to 5,000 acres rumored. Sounds like further evacuations have been made. Relatively good overnight forecast.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Senator

Oh Cyber my friend...I pray that your cabin and any others in the area are spared and that those fighting the fire and the ground and in the air can fight the good safe fight!

Ferris

Sun Tzu must have seen babs coming when he put this down in writing: In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemies country WHOLE and INTACT. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment or a company than to destroy them...
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Tree of Liberty Benefactor

Prayers sent Cyber.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Congressman

Thinking of you and hoping all is safe.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Cyberiot- any updates? Praying for all in the way of these fires!

Summerthyme
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Many thanks to all of you for your prayers, advice and support.

The Doce Fire has now consumed 5,000 acres and is still 0% contained. That said, it appears to be moving away from the populated areas of Prescott, but unfortunately is approaching the town of Williamson.

Please pray for the 500-plus firefighters and other first responders who are dealing with this wildfire, as well as for those who live in its path.

Again, thanks to everyone. You guys are a terrific bunch.

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Citizen

I need to get my red card so I can be out there. My apologies for your troubles, I'm a bit more south but I frequent Prescott and hate to hear of it in danger.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Judge

I have relations there, a young family with a special needs toddler. I have only been telling them to prep for slightly more than a decade
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know!"