Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia is for Valentines!

Default Virginia is for Valentines!

Virginia now joins about 18 or 19 other states in moving toward allowing same-sex marriage --

"In (the DOMA case), our Constitution was invoked to protect the individual rights of gay and lesbian citizens, and the propriety of such protection led to upholding state law against conflicting federal law." "The propriety of invoking such protection remains compelling when faced with the task of evaluating the constitutionality of state laws."

She then quoted the rationale "described eloquently in a dissenting opinion authored by" Scalia:
    As I have said, the real rationale of [the Windsor opinion] is that DOMA is motivated by "bare . . . desire to harm" couples in same-sex marriages. How easy it is, indeed how inevitable, to reach the same conclusion with regard to state laws denying same-sex couples marital status
    My opinion -- this is going to go to the Supreme Court, together with decisions in Utah, Ohio and Kentucky.

Forcing The People to provide entitlement for biologically and sociologically extraneous interpersonal relationships that they believe are based in sin is unconstitutional.

What any court says matters little. What The People are willing to do matters more. Break the contract and pay the penalty.

Entitlement and liberty are mutually exclusive. One person's rights cannot be the price for another persons entitlement unless that person surrendering their right feels the result will be a better ordered liberty. That is clearly not the case here.

As Seditious mentioned, you can only push people so far before they get fed up with it. You leftists are rapidly pushing the country into a position where those who have had enough are going to see that nothing short of the fourth box will stop you people from running over the rest of us. When that happens, just remember that YOU ASKED FOR IT.

It's sad to see so many people take the bait of the "same sex marriage" argument.

The real problem is, that once again government has broken through the hedge of the Constitution to intrude into a matter
    where it should have no say at all.

We hear cries of "Separation of Church and State", but isn't government regulation of marriage government exercising power
    over a matter of religion?

Marriage was established by God before government existed. Marriage should no more be regulated by government than baptism
    or ordination.

However, government has found that control of marriage is a useful tool that can be used for social engineering. The state is
    trying to convince us that so-called "same-sex marriage" is morally equivalent to the God ordained marriage of a man
    and woman.

I cannot understand why anyone would want a corrupt government to put its seal of approval on the Holy union of
    marriage between a man and a woman.
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Guest View Post
    I cannot understand why anyone would want a corrupt government to put its seal of approval on the Holy union of
    marriage between a man and a woman.
    As an ordained minister, how many marriage licenses have you signed in your career?

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    As an ordained minister, how many marriage licenses have you signed in your career?
    Pastor Guest can correct me if I'm wrong, but ordination doesn't have anything to do with the State recognition but rather is determined by the denomination. I think you're thinking of being a licensed minister, which is State recognition.

I say this as someone who's not licensed but I was ordained in the Southern Baptist Church as a minister in training. In other words, I could preach in a SBC congregation, with certain guidelines, but I couldn't perform any ceremonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
    Pastor Guest can correct me if I'm wrong, but ordination doesn't have anything to do with the State recognition but rather is determined by the denomination. I think you're thinking of being a licensed minister, which is State recognition.

I say this as someone who's not licensed but I was ordained in the Southern Baptist Church as a minister in training. In other words, I could preach in a SBC congregation, with certain guidelines, but I couldn't perform any ceremonies.
    I'm not talking about his ordainment. I'm talking about signing marriage licenses for the state. Between a man and a woman. A simple government form that requires the signature of a compliant ordained minister.

Earlier, I said that these cases would end up in the Supreme Court. That might not be correct. The Court usually takes up issues where there is a division among the circuit courts of appeal. Here, there is no division. Since Windsor, every federal court to consider the issue of same sex marriage has concluded in favor of marriage equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Godwit View Post
    Earlier, I said that these cases would end up in the Supreme Court. That might not be correct. The Court usually takes up issues where there is a division among the circuit courts of appeal. Here, there is no division. Since Windsor, every federal court to consider the issue of same sex marriage has concluded in favor of marriage equality.
    Things that don't have the same nature and potential can never be equal.